Isle of Wight Observer October 4 1890
On Monday last, Messrs Wallis, Riddett and Down took possession of their new offices and sale rooms in Lind-street, immediately facing the Town Hall, and until recently known as the Victoria Rooms, but which they have now very appropriately called “Town Hall Chambers”. It will be remembered that the old assembly room was 8ft or 10ft above the level of the street, and was approached by a double flight of stone steps, the space under the room, although on the ground floor, being only used as a cellar and store. The main floor of the building has now been raised so as to give a height of 12ft to the ground floor. A tiled corridor runs through the centre of the building, off which are several offices for the principals and their staff, a fine room especially intended for property sales, and also a strong room (the largest of its kind on the Island), fitted with a door and ventilating gate, by Chubb. The upper floor measures about 75ft by 35ft, and is 18ft high. It is divided by a plate glass screen. This floor is intended for the sale of furniture, pictures &c. The entrance for goods is from a private road at the back, which will enable this department of the work to be carried on without interference with the front offices. A plot of land at the back of the premises affords convenience for the sale of outdoor effects. Much care and thought have evidently been bestowed upon the work, and it would be difficult to find any town offices and sale rooms more admirably adapted to the purpose for which they are designed. We congratulate the firm on the possession of such excellent premises. The work has been well carried out by Mr Barton, from plans prepared by Mr Francis Newman, on whom the skilful transformation of the premises reflects much credit.