New Pier Entrance
Isle of Wight Observer April 30, 1868
The old cramped entrance to Ryde Pier, with all the ugly sheds and offices, have been cleared away, and a pair of neatly designed octagonal buildings stand in their place. The two are joined together by a range of turnstiles and have a free and open appearance. A shelter of some sort will be indispensable, we suppose for the shelter of toll-takers, porters, &c., belonging to the staff of the company. To make a good job of the improvements, a glass covering must be made to extend some 40 or 50 feet down the pier, and laterally over the luggage stage of the tramway to afford protection from the rain to the visitors’ luggage.
ENLARGED BATHING PLATFORM – The bathing accommodation at the end of Victoria Pier, has been extended to double its former dimensions, and a new tariff has been issued. The charge is to be sixpence for a single bath, and threepence after 5 o’clock in the evening. The season ticket is a guinea. The bathing on the sand when the tide is suitable will be most safe and pleasurable, the temperature will be delightful to the body, and the yellow sands a carpet to the feet. The directors hoped to have had the same accommodation on the west side of the pier for ladies, but owing to representations made to them, the Lords of the Admiralty put a stop to the works, on the ground that they would be an obstruction to navigation.
This image shows the turnstiles and the gates at the entrance to Ryde Pier. Image courtesy of IW County Record Office.
The above image shows the two octagonal buildings at the dry end of Ryde Pier. On the left is the Royal Pier Hotel, demolished in 1931. Below is an image engraved in May, 1870, which shows the new buildings standing alone at the end of the pier.