An Incautious Landlord

Isle of Wight Observer January 25, 1890

Ryde Petty Sessions – Borough Bench – Monday – Before the Mayor (Ald J Barton), Aldermen Colenutt, Captain Daubuz, Professor Simonds and Dr Davey.

Joseph Jones, landlord of the Wheatsheaf, was summoned for keeping his house open during unlawful hours. PC Watson deposed that on Sunday morning, the 12th instant, about ten minutes to 8, he was on duty in Melville-street, at the top of Nelson-street. Saw a man come out of the Wheatsheaf, and go down Nelson-street. There was a man at the bottom of the street, evidently watching. Shortly afterwards this man came up the street and went into the Wheatsheaf. Witness afterwards went down and opened the bar door. It was not fastened. There was a man standing against the counter with a pint cup in his hand, half full of beer. As he went in defendant came into the bar. Witness said, “What is the meaning of this, Mr Jones?” He replied “I don’t know.” Witness told him he had no right to have his house opened for the sale of drink at five minutes to 8 on Sunday morning, and that he should report the matter to the Superintendent. He said “Very well, but don’t open your mouth too wide about it,” or words to that effect. He told defendant he should be obliged to report it because there were many complaints in reference to the house. – Defendant said he had just taken in the milk, when a man came into the bar and said that he had been on duty all night and felt ill, and begged him for a glass of ale, and he supplied him. – Superintendent Hinks stated that defendant had kept the house ever since he had been in the town, and had never been summoned before. – The Bench fined defendant £1 and costs.

Robert Dunford,  of Daniel-street, was fined 2s 6d and costs for going into the house.


The license of the Bugle Inn was endorsed from Thomas Scott to Edward Sweetman, jun.

Application was made to endorse the license of the Hand-in-Hand, Nelson-place, from Jane Beal to William Jarman. – Ald Colenutt said that the house had not been opened for several years. – Superintendent Hinks replied that the license had been taken out every year. – Ald Colenutt remarked that it was a low place, and the fact that it had been closed showed that the neighbourhood did not require a publichouse. – The matter was adjourned till the next transfer day.


One of the highest tides known here for a great number of years occurred on Thursday, but though the wind was occasionally rather gusty, it was more or less off the land, so that little damage was done. The sluice in the marshes, however, overfllowed, and there was eighteen inches of water in Alderman Barrow’s Recreation Ground. It taxed Mr A Cooke, and his staff, to keep the railway tunnel sufficiently free from water to permit of uninterrupted traffic. The tides rose so high under the Railway Pier that, had it been very rough, the permanent way must have been injured.

Return to 1890s Odds and Ends