The toll house which stood out beyond the line of houses at the bottom of the High-street, and which was occupied so many years by Messrs Minter, has been pulled down during the past week, and the street has been widened by several feet.
Minter & Son obviously then moved to the building now (2010) occupied by the Hospice shop……as can be seen by comparing the window. In the 1861 census, Edward Kennet Minter is listed at the Royal Victoria Yacht Club House, Victoria Terrace, Ryde. He is a farmer of 84 acres, employing 4 men and 1 boy. His wife is listed as a Coal Merchant, employing 2 men. By the time of the 1871 census, he is a Butcher, next to the Crown Hotel, 156 High Street.